The two men had been living in the same homeless encampment for several months, and Visor said he still suffers from seeing his friend, who was armed with a knife, gunned down just steps away from his tent.Police have said that Gongora Pat was challenging them with a 13-inch kitchen knife moments before they shot Gongora first with non-lethal beanbag rounds and then seven bullets, but that account is disputed by Visor and several other eyewitnesses.The small group of friends and social justice advocates hoped to keep Gongora Pat’s death from being forgotten.“Whether we are five people or 5,000 people, we cannot let this happen – the police killings have to stop,” said Kezia Martinis, a Mission District resident who remembers hearing the shots that killed Gongora Pat. “I’m a black woman in the Bay Area and I have a black 14-year-old son. I cannot keep calm. This affects me.” Martinis said she took the day off from work to participate in the memorial and to show solidarity for the struggle of a group of advocates who are demanding punishment of the officers involved Gongora Pat’s death and a string of other controversial shootings that have rocked the San Francisco Police Department in recent years. “It is our duty to recognize that Luis died because there is complete police impunity,” said community organizer Adriana Camarena.Gongora Pat died just a month after officers involved in the 2014 shooting of Alex Nieto at Bernal Heights Park were found not to have used excessive force by a jury in a civil trial in March. The officers, who fired at least 48 shots at Nieto, a security guard armed with a taser, never faced criminal charges. In May, a police shooting in the Bayview that claimed the life of an unarmed black woman, Jessica Williams, ultimately led to the removal of then-police-chief Greg Suhr. Before that, in December 2015, a video recording of officers fatally shooting Bayview resident Mario Woods, who was armed with a knife, went viral and sparked citywide protests that challenged the police department’s use of force policies. “From what evidence there is, we know that he was just sitting against that doorway when he was approached, which means he was not a threat at all to the police,” said Camarena, referring to Gongora Pat. “For us, that is criminal.”Camarena and other advocates behind the Justice for Luis Gongora Pat Coalition said that interim Police Chief Toney Chaplin has failed to follow through on his promise for timely updates on the ongoing criminal investigation.“Through the office of [Mission Supervisor] David Campos, we are trying to follow up on that promise,” said Camarena. Artists are planning to paint a mural honoring Gongora Pat in Clarion Alley, and intend to involve members of Gongora Pat’s family in the design process, said Megan Wilson, director of the Clarion Alley Mural Project. In addition, this year’s Day of the Dead exhibit at SoMarts will feature a commemorative altar to Gongora Pat. Advocates say that these tributes are important steps in pressing the police department and city leaders to serve justice.“These actions, the memorials – it’s important for the city not to forget us,” said Camarena. Family and advocates seeking criminal penalties for the officers who shot Luis Gongora Pat – a 45-year-old homeless man living in the Mission District – gathered at the site of his shooting Wednesday morning to mark the five-month anniversary of his death.“I miss him very much, and I wish that he was still here,” said John Visor, a homeless man who earlier this year came forth as a direct eyewitness to the officer-involved shooting that claimed Gongora Pat’s life within 30 seconds.Visor said that whenever he passes the intersection of 19th and Shotwell streets, where Gongora Pat was killed in April, he sits against a nearby wall – just as his friend and camp mate had done in his final moments – and replays the incident in his head.“I can’t sleep, I hear the gunshots all the time,” he said. 0% Tags: 19th Street • homeless • police • police shooting • shotwell street Share this: FacebookTwitterRedditemail,0%
SAINTS have named their 19-man squad for Friday’s First Utility Super League Round Nine game with Hull FC.Morgan Knowles is recalled to the side and could make his third appearance of the season.Keiron Cunningham will select his 17 from:3. Jordan Turner, 6. Travis Burns, 7. Luke Walsh, 8. Alex Walmsley, 9. James Roby, 10. Kyle Amor, 12. Jon Wilkin, 13. Louie McCarthy -Scarsbrook, 15. Greg Richards, 16. Andre Savelio 17. Luke Thompson, 18. Dominique Peyroux, 19. Theo Fages, 20. Joe Greenwood, 21. Matty Dawson, 22. Jack Owens, 23. Shannon McDonnell, 28. Morgan Knowles, 29. Ricky Bailey.Lee Radford will choose his Hull FC side from:1. Jamie Shaul, 2. Mahe Fonua, 3. Carlos Tuimavave, 7. Marc Sneyd, 8. Scott Taylor, 9. Danny Houghton, 10. Liam Watts, 11. Gareth Ellis, 12. Mark Minichiello, 14. Iafeta Palea’aesina, 15. Chris Green, 17. Dean Hadley, 19. Steve Michaels, 20. Curtis Naughton, 21. Sika Manu, 22. Josh Bowden, 23. Frank Pritchard, 24. Kirk Yeaman, 30. Danny Washbrook.The game kicks off at 8pm and the referee will be James Child.Ticket details for the game can be found here.
ST.HELENS R.F.C. announces a new and expanded sponsorship deal with Totally Wicked which includes the principal naming rights for the stadium for the next five years.The financial value of the sponsorship contract is the largest in the history of the Club and reflects both the quality of the stadium facility and the brand of St Helens.North West based Totally Wicked’s existing sponsorship of the Club is now in its fourth year, having sponsored the Totally Wicked North Stand since 2013 and been a sponsor of the shirt since 2014.Saints’ existing agreement with developers Langtree expires at the end of this year, at which point the stadium will be renamed the Totally Wicked Stadium. As part of this new and valuable sponsorship deal, Totally Wicked’s logo will continue to be seen on both the home and away shirts in its present form.Saints is committed to supporting fans that wish to switch from smoking to a significantly less harmful alternative (vaping). Fans are therefore allowed to vape within the stadium and this will continue to be the case under this new sponsorship deal.The decision to allow fans to vape within the ground was taken after careful consideration of the very latest government backed evidence which makes clear that vaping does not undermine the smoking ban and that there is no evidence of harm to bystanders from second-hand vapour from e-cigarettes.Speaking about the new partnership Eamonn McManus, Chairman of St.Helens R.F.C. said:“Totally Wicked has been a loyal and valuable supporter and sponsor of Saints for the last four years. For the Club, this new increased sponsorship deal was a natural development of an already established relationship that has been of tremendous benefit to the Club, not just financially, but also in supporting our wider health objectives. It also represents the most financially valuable long term sponsorship in the Club’s history.“The Club plays an active role not only in sport, but also in health and education, and over the last four years of working with Totally Wicked, we have been able to create a supportive and vape friendly atmosphere at the Club. We believe this new deal will further this pioneering work by not only helping to raise awareness yet further of the damage smoking tobacco can do also in deterring people from taking on the habit in the first place.”Fraser Cropper, Managing Director of Totally Wicked, concluded:“We are delighted to further our partnership with Saints and are looking forward to many successful seasons with one of the great clubs of world rugby league.“As a company, we do not see this sponsorship deal as a new venture, but a logical next step in our relationship with Saints. Over the past four years, as sponsor of the North Stand and team shirts, we have worked closely with the club and were delighted to have the opportunity to expand our support.“As a privately owned local business, we understand the importance of a community’s club and it is a privilege and a responsibility which we will cherish and respect to be a part of a club with such heritage. We are confident that we can strengthen the brand and reputation of St Helens even more.“The last four years have been an exciting time for both Saints and Totally Wicked and I and my team very much look forward to the next five years of this relationship and beyond as we continue to develop our relationship with Saints and the wider community.”
The next first team game at the Totally Wicked Stadium is against Hull KR and kicks off at 7:45 pm on Friday 29th March. Tickets are available from the Club Ticket Office at the Totally Wicked Stadium, by calling 01744 455052 or by clicking here.
WAC being demolished (Photo: Jenna Kurzyna/WWAY) NEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — Demolition on the former Wilmington Athletic Club started this weekend.Back in December of last year the Wilmington Athletic Club closed its doors for good.- Advertisement – Now, the demolition of the WAC building has started for New Hanover Regional Medical Center.Once the building it demolished it will be used for additional parking for hospital employees.
(Photo: Cape Fear Garden Club, Inc.) WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Fresh off a successful Azalea Garden Tour last month, the Cape Fear Garden Club got a surprise today.This morning, the nearly century old club was surprised with a very big honor.- Advertisement – It was announced during the club’s general meeting that it has been given the “Club of the Year” award from the annual convention of the Garden Club of North Carolina.The award was decided April 17 in Chapel Hill.The club also won ten first place awards, seven second place awards, and five third place awards.
The Missiles and More Museum on Topsail Island reopened May 22 after the Assembly Building underwent $150,000 worth of repairs. (Photo: Rebecca Bowen/StarNews) TOPSAIL BEACH, NC (StarNews) — The Missiles and More Museum on Topsail Island reopened on May 22 after the Assembly Building, which is where the museum is housed, underwent $150,000 worth of repairs.According to Edna Smith, president of the Historical Society of Topsail Island, the repairs began in September and included complex and structural repairs to the building’s roof truss system. The historical society, which operates the Assembly Building, realized repairs were needed after an inspection uncovered severe termite damage. Butch Parish, a member of the society’s board of directors, was the project manager for the repairs and enlisted the help of engineers who had experience with the type of construction needed for the building.- Advertisement – Steve Smith, a member of the society’s board of directors, said there are only a few buildings with the kind of ceiling system similar to the Assembly Building, and they were built in the 1940s.Click here to read more from StarNewsOnline.
Pender County Board of Commissioners & Pender County School Board host a joint work session in Burgaw.(Photo: Matt Bennett/WWAY) WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — The future of the historic Penderlea auditorium, and purchasing land for a new school. Those were just some topics discussed at a joint work session between the Pender County Board of Commissioners and the Pender County School Board.Hurricane recovery and after-action plans, economy and budget outlook, and new county water connections to schools were also talked about.- Advertisement – Commission Chair George Brown says the county is closer to obtaining the old Penderlea gym and auditorium, and turning it into a public space.They also discussed the possibility of purchasing land in the Hampstead area for a potential future school.“About half of our taxes in Pender County, our property taxes, actually go to the schools in some way, shape, form or fashion. Whether it’s to pay for property, or needs for the schools, or teacher supplements, or whatever,” Brown said. “So I think it’s important that the two boards have a good relationship and understand the problems we are both facing.”Related Article: How to be eligible for continued FEMA rental assistanceAlso discussed was artificial turf versus grass on athletic fields, buying radios and repeaters for the schools, and more.
WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Imagine getting ready for a hurricane and then suddenly seeing your life flash before your eyes. That’s what happened to Eric and Mimi Marquis.On Thursday, they said “thank you” to the first responders who saved Eric’s life.- Advertisement – “It’s not something I’d thought about a lot before,” Eric said. “I’ve always respected the people that do this kind of work. But now every time I hear a siren, I stop and think about it.”Not too long ago, that siren was for him. Eric will never forget the day his life almost came to an end.“When I turned around to ask him, I said, ‘What condition was he in when you guys got there?’ He goes, ‘Oh, he was dead,’” Mimi said.Related Article: NHRMC stations AirLink helicopter at Novant HealthJust hours before Hurricane Florence made landfall, Mimi found her husband unconscious in their living room. He had suffered a heart attack.In a matter of minutes, paramedics were on scene and ultimately saved Eric’s life.“The presenting rhythm this patient particularly had, we have about a 50 percent success rate walking out of the hospital neurologically intact,” Paramedic Chris Grace Jr. said.Now more than seven months later, there were nothing but happy tears at New Hanover Regional Medical Center.The couple met the paramedics for the first time since Eric’s heart attack.“If not for them, he wouldn’t be here,” Mimi said. “Very, very grateful for everything.”The gratitude means even more to these first responders.“We don’t do this job for the pat on the back, but it is nice to meet somebody who we were able to help,” Grace said. “Especially, in probably the worst time of his life.”Grace says they never stopped thinking about Eric, and Eric will never stop thinking about them either.“I have nothing but love in my heart for all the people that took care of me,” Eric said.Eric spent five weeks in the hospital. He says he has been doing well ever since he was released.The couple really wanted to thank the 911 dispatcher who helped keep Mimi calm, but unfortunately, she no longer works with New Hanover County.The couple also says they are so thankful for all the staff at the hospital for their dedication during that time.
NEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — This weeks Pet Pal is a busy, fun loving and inquisitive dog looking for a fun home to join.Shelter staff describe her as a pup who enjoys long walks on the beach and exploring the beauties of nature. She is high-spirited, but at the end of the day she will always curl up by your side.- Advertisement – If you’re interested in meeting him, head to New Hanover County Animal Services at 180 Division Drive in Wilmington. They’re open weekdays from 11 a.m.-3:30 p.m. and Saturday from 8 a.m. to Noon.New Hanover County residents can adopt for $70.