A United spokesperson said: “Luke Shaw has suffered a double fracture of the leg.”Shaw will now be transferred to Manchester to be operated on. Luke Shaw Thank you everyone for your messages , words can’t describe how gutted I am , my road to recovery starts now, I will come back stronger.— Luke Shaw (@LukeShaw23) September 15, 2015 1 Manchester United left-back Luke Shaw will undergo surgery after suffering a double leg fracture in the Champions League defeat to PSV Eindhoven.Shaw suffered the horrific injury in a challenge with Hector Moreno and was eventually stretchered off the pitch carrying an oxygen mask.The injury will come as a huge blow to United and England after the 20-year-old had started the season strongly.During the second half of the game, Shaw took to Twitter to thank his fans for their support:
Sepp Blatter has lodged an appeal against his provisional 90-day ban imposed by FIFA’s ethics committee, his adviser has confirmed.Blatter was relieved on his duties as FIFA president on Thursday after the ethics committee’s decision, but lodged an immediate appeal.Klaus Stohlker, Blatter’s friend and adviser, said: “He has appealed already to FIFA’s appeal committee. He is defending his position and he is sure that he will be found not guilty.”Blatter and UEFA president Michel Platini, as well as FIFA secretary-general Jerome Valcke, were handed 90-day provisional bans by the committee while investigations take place into a £1.35million payment to the Frenchman.Platini has also announced he will challenge the ban, and the decision will go to the FIFA appeals committee.The timing of the provisional ban could hardly be worse for Platini, who wanted to run in the election to succeed Blatter as president but with nominations closing on October 26 those plans lie in ruins.UEFA said Platini ”will not perform his official duties for the time being”.He did not attend the meeting of the UEFA executive committee on Thursday and has cancelled several official trips. Sepp Blatter 1
Listen back to the best bits from Friday’s Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast, where the host was joined in the studio by Ray Wilkins.The morning duo chatted to a host of top guests, including former Arsenal striker John Hartson, who shared his thoughts on the Gunners’ dismal League Cup defeat to Sheffield Wednesday.Ray also gave his view on his and Tim Sherwood’s departure from Aston Villa, while Australia rugby legend David Campese previewed Saturday’s Rugby World Cup final clash between the Wallabies and New Zealand at Twickenham.
Stewart Day, chairman of the Sports Bar’s adopted side Bury FC, answers a series of hard-hitting questions (…) from show hosts Andy Goldstein and Jason Cundy!
1 Neven Subotic Liverpool target Neven Subotic is likely to leave Borussia Dortmund in January, according to reports in Germany.The Serbia defender has been heavily linked with a move to Anfield ever since Jurgen Klopp took charge.Klopp worked with the 26-year-old during his time at Dortmund and is a big fan of the centre-back.It had previously been reported that any bids for Subotic would be rejected but, according to Bild, that may not be the case anymore.Dortmund are now considering selling the player as coach Thomas Tuchel believes his departure can be covered by the emergence of fellow centre-back Matthias Ginter.The news will be a boost for Liverpool, who are expected to be on the hunt for defensive reinforcements during the January transfer window.
Chelsea and Barcelona have been dealt a blow in their pursuit of midfielder Marco Verratti, with news the Italian has signed a contract extension at Paris Saint-Germain.The highly-rated Italy international had been linked with a move away from the French capital, with former Barcelona midfielder Xavi claiming he had ‘Barca DNA’ last week.Chelsea were also linked with a move for the 23-year-old, but those hopes have been extinguished after Verratti extended his deal in Paris to 2020.“I am very happy to extend my contract with Paris Saint-Germain,’ Verratti, who is almost certain to play against Chelsea on Tuesday, told the club’s official website.“I would like to thank the club for the confidence they have placed in me since I joined the club.“I love the city of Paris and I love Paris Saint-Germain. I will continue to give my all, along with my teammates, to bring joy and success to our supporters and make our team the best in Europe.” Paris Saint-Germain star Marco Verratti 1
STOCK: Third-quarter earnings beat Wall Street’s predictions as the search company posts large gains. By Michael Liedtke THE ASSOCIATED PRESS SAN FRANCISCO – Google Inc. rode the Internet advertising wave to another sparkling quarter, justifying the investor confidence that lifted its stock price by more than $100 in the past month to establish the online search leader as Silicon Valley’s most valuable company. After subtracting commissions paid to its thousands of advertising partners, Google’s revenue stood at $3.01 billion – about $70 million above the average analyst estimate. The performance represented a return to form for Google after its second-quarter earnings disappointed Wall Street. The company has surpassed analyst estimates in all but two of the 13 quarters since its August 2004 initial public offering. “We’re strong and getting stronger,” Google Chairman Eric Schmidt said in an interview Thursday. “What I am most pleased about is our model works.” Wall Street had already been counting on a stellar quarter from Google, especially after its smaller rival, Yahoo Inc., beat analyst expectations with its third-quarter earnings released earlier this week. The enormous expectations contributed to a 19 percent increase in Google’s stock price during the past month, propelling shares above $600 for the first time. Google shares added $6.14 Thursday to finish the regular session at $639.62, leaving the 9-year-old company with a market value of just below $200 billion. That enabled Google to edge past Cisco Systems Inc. as Silicon Valley’s most valuable company. After the third-quarter results came out, Google shares rose $7.38 in after-hours trading, signaling the stock will likely reach a new peak today. Google thrives because advertising that once went to television, radio and newspapers is shifting to the Internet, where Google’s search engine steers a highly effective system for finding prospective customers. Although it relies on complex technology, Google’s formula is fairly simple. As it processes a search request, Google also scans its database for text-based ads related to the same topic as the query and displays the commercial messages along the side and top of the results page. Google gets paid when someone clicks on an ad on its pages or one of its partners’ sites. There’s ample opportunity to display the ads, with Google fielding about 1.2 billion search requests worldwide each day, based on the latest data from comScore Inc. That’s more than quadruple the number of requests handled by Yahoo, which runs the second largest search engine. While becoming even more dominant in search, Google is also branching in new directions that are creating new ways to sell ads and opening up potential new revenue channels in the software applications market. In the past few months, Google unveiled a way to show text-based ads across the bottom of videos supplied by its YouTube subsidiary and also began distributing ads within “widgets” – the interactive capsules that are becoming Internet staples. “Each of these initiatives give advertisers new and interesting ways to build relationships with customers,” Schmidt told analysts during a conference call. Google hopes to become even more powerful by buying an online ad placement service, DoubleClick Inc., for $3.1 billion. Facing protests from privacy activists and Google’s rivals, the deal is under review by antitrust regulators in the U.S. and Europe. Schmidt said Google is confident that regulators will approve the acquisition, although he declined to set a timetable for obtaining the needed clearance. When Google first announced the deal, it hoped to take control of DoubleClick before 2008. In a sign of its ambitious expansion plans, Google added another 2,130 employees in the third quarter – more than in any three-month period in its history. Management said the summer additions included about 1,000 hires right out of college and 300 employees inherited in its $625 million acquisition of e-mail specialist Postini Inc.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Overcoming a traditionally slow season for Web surfing, Google said Thursday that it earned $1.07 billion, or $3.38 a share, for the three months ended in September. That was a 46 percent improvement from net income of $733.4 million, or $2.36 a share, at the same time last year. If not for the cost of awarding stock to its steadily expanding work force, Google said it would have earned $3.91 a share. That topped the average estimate of $3.78 a share among analysts surveyed by Thomson Financial. Revenue for the period totaled $4.23 billion, a 57 percent increase from $2.67 billion last year.
A Donegal community has been left without broadband for the past week – and got no notification that a problem had arisen.Glenswilly was left with the 3 Ireland signal leaving hundreds of householders with no internet connection.Cllr James McDaid said he has failed to get any reasonable response from the company. Cllr. McDaid said, “In New Mills, six miles outside of Letterkenny the quality of broadband is so weak as to be of no use in most instances. If you live beyond the reach of Eircom’s fibre network, you have three options: mobile broadband, fixed wireless or satellite.“Eircom’s Broadband Network Upgrade information pack makes no mention of New Mills, Glenswilly, Churchill, Glendowan, Gartan, Trentagh or Termon and other parts of Donegal are in a similar situation.“Eircom says they are investing over €12million in a high speed broadband network in Donegal. Over 20,000 homes and businesses in the county can access the high speed network now.“When completed next year more than 51,000 will have access to high speed broadband network. 59 different areas are named for the upgraded service. However far too many areas with poor service are now excluded and there are no plans for any improvement. “Having raised the issue in Lifford last year and previously written to the minister for communications to explain the situation, the reply has been a waste of space. Nobody can guarantee me that broadband will be delivered to all rural areas any time soon. I have been in contact with 3 Ireland and Eircom and I’m still waiting for answers.“I will certainly be keeping pressure on them to try and improve this service because it a real drawback to people living in rural areas. Its as if we are second-class citizens.“We have heard so much about the rollout of fibre broadband to rural areas to put us on a par with the rest of the country but the opposite is happening. The lack of any quality broadband service is a huge hindrance to the promotion and development of this county.“While 3 advertises speeds of up to 21Mps few customers achieve anything like this. Their own speed tests reveal an average performance for the year of 4Mbps. Individual customers report huge variations in the quality of the service. Speeds are substantially dependent on how many customers are using the internet in any particular ‘cell’, at any particular time.“We are 43rd in the world for Internet speeds. Our network is inconsistent and Ireland’s average broadband speed ranks 43rd internationally, behind Lithuania, Romania and Bulgaria which says something else entirely,” added Cllr. McDaid. UPROAR AS COMMUNITY LEFT WITHOUT BROADBAND – OR EVEN AN EXCUSE! was last modified: March 5th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:broadbandCllr James McDaidDonegal 3 Irelandglenswilly
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWhicker: Clemson demonstrates that it’s tough to knock out the champBut ice disappeared in the Chukchi Sea this year because of warm summer weather, ocean currents and persistent eastern winds, Garlach-Miller said. As a result, walruses came ashore earlier and stayed longer, congregating in extremely high numbers, with herds as big as 40,000 at Point Shmidt, a spot that had not been used by walruses as a “haulout” for a century, scientists said. Walruses are vulnerable to stampedes when they gather in such large numbers. The appearance of a polar bear, a hunter or a low-flying airplane can send them rushing to the water. Sure enough, scientists received reports of hundreds and hundreds of walruses dead of internal injuries suffered in stampedes. Many of the youngest and weakest animals, mostly calves born in the spring, were crushed. Biologist Anatoly Kochnev of Russia’s Pacific Institute of Fisheries and Oceanography estimated that 3,000 to 4,000 walruses out of a population of perhaps 200,000 died, or two or three times the usual number on shoreline haulouts. ANCHORAGE, Alaska – In what some scientists see as another alarming consequence of global warming, thousands of Pacific walruses above the Arctic Circle were killed in stampedes earlier this year after the disappearance of sea ice caused them to crowd onto the shoreline in extraordinary numbers. The deaths took place during the late summer and fall on the Russian side of the Bering Strait, which separates Alaska from Russia. “It was a pretty sobering year – tough on walruses,” said Joel Garlach-Miller, a walrus expert for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Unlike seals, walruses cannot swim indefinitely. The giant, tusked mammals typically clamber onto the sea ice to rest, or haul themselves onto land for just a few weeks at a time. He said the animals only started appearing on shore for extended periods in the late 1990s, after the sea ice receded. “The reason is the global warming,” Kochnev said. The reports match predictions of what might happen to walruses if the ice receded, said wildlife biologist Tony Fischbach of the U.S. Geological Survey. “We were surprised that this was happening so soon, and we were surprised at the magnitude of the report,” he said. Scientists said the deaths of so many walruses – particularly calves – is alarming in itself. But if the trend continues, and walruses no longer have summer sea ice from which to dive for clams and snails, they could strip coastal areas of food, and that could reduce their numbers even further. No large-scale walrus die-offs were seen in Alaska during the same period, apparently because the animals congregated in smaller groups on the American side of the Bering Strait, with the biggest known herd at about 2,500.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
“We left an unbelievable scene behind us,” Khadar said. “When we climbed the rocks of the nearby mountain … we saw flames of fire burning our village. … Our house disappeared.” Jamal Abdullah, a spokesman for the regional government of Iraqi Kurdistan, told AP Television News: “We call on the Turkish army to differentiate between the PKK and the ordinary people. We don’t want the conflict between the Turkish troops and the PKK to turn into a conflict between the Turkish forces and the people of Kurdistan.” Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan lauded the operation and suggested Turkey could stage more attacks on PKK hideouts in northern Iraq. “This operation, which was carried out under night conditions, was a success,” Erdogan said. “Our struggle (against the PKK) will continue inside and outside Turkey with the same determination.” The pro-Kurdish news agency Firat, citing the PKK, said two civilians and five PKK rebels were killed. The airstrikes destroyed two schools and a hospital, it said, adding that the hospital had been vacated in anticipation of a Turkish attack. The Kurdish rebels also said they responded to Turkish raids with anti-aircraft artillery units, Firat reported. In Iraq, Mohammad Hajj Hammoud, a Foreign Ministry undersecretary, summoned the Turkish ambassador in Baghdad and asked that Ankara end raids “that cause harm to innocent people and affect friendly bilateral relations,” the ministry said on its Web site. The ministry said the raids killed one woman, injured four people and displaced several families.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! ANKARA, Turkey – Turkey said dozens of its warplanes bombed Kurdish rebel targets as deep as 60 miles inside northern Iraq for three hours Sunday, the largest aerial attack in years against the outlawed separatist group. Turkey’s military chief said the U.S. gave intelligence and tacit approval for the raid. An Iraqi official said the planes attacked several villages, killing one woman. The rebels said two civilians and five rebels were killed. In the nighttime offensive, the fighter jets hit rebel positions close to the border with Turkey and in the Qandil mountains, which straddle the Iraq-Iran border, the Turkish military said in a statement posted on its Web site. It said the operation was directed against the rebels and not against the local population. As many as 50 fighter jets were involved in the airstrikes, private NTV television and other media reported. Turkey has recently attacked the area with ground-based artillery and helicopters and there have been some unconfirmed reports of airstrikes by warplanes. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWhicker: Clemson demonstrates that it’s tough to knock out the champThe attack came a month after the United States promised to share intelligence with Turkey about the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) and Turkey’s military chief, Gen. Yasar Buyukanit, said U.S. intelligence was used. “America gave intelligence,” Kanal D television quoted Buyukanit as saying. “But more importantly, America last night opened (the Iraqi) airspace to us. By opening the airspace, America gave its approval to this operation.”. “Even if it’s winter, even if there’s snow, even if they live in caves, we’ll find them and hit them,” he added, according to the report. “These operations will continue all the time.” Journalists were barred from entering the stricken areas, but some managed to sneak into the small village of Qlatooka, in Qandil, where bombs had destroyed a school and some homes. Mukhlis Khadar, 44, said he and his family were woken by the raids and fled their home as soon as the school was hit.