England captain Morgan expected to make World Cup opener after injury scare

first_imgEngland captain Eoin Morgan suffered a “small fracture” to his left index finger on Friday, but is expected to be fit in time for the hosts’ World Cup opener against South Africa next week.Morgan was practising with his teammates at the Ageas Bowl in Southampton ahead of Saturday’s unofficial World Cup warm-up against Australia when he took a blow during catching drills.It was a major scare for England just six days before the World Cup favourites start their bid to win the competition for the first time, but there was relatively good news for Morgan after an X-ray showed the damage wasn’t as bad as feared.“England captain Eoin Morgan has sustained a small flake fracture to his left index finger,” an ECB statement said.“He will not take part in the match (against Australia), but is expected to make a full recovery and be available for England’s opening ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup match against South Africa at The Oval on Thursday May 30.”Morgan, 32, was one of 14 players preparing at Hampshire’s ground, with Joe Root absent on personal business. He has played 222 one-day internationals and averages 39.64 after hitting 12 centuries and 45 half-centuries.England have climbed to the top of the ODI rankings under leadership of Morgan, who is also a key member of their powerful batting line-up.England spinner Liam Dawson did not witness the incident but said the feeling from his team-mates was the Dublin-born left-hander’s injury was not serious.“I was batting on the other side, so I didn’t know what went on. When I came back to the dressing room a couple of the lads were talking,” Dawson said.“I just heard he got hit on the finger. I don’t think it’s too bad.”For more sport your way, download The Citizen’s app for iOS and Android.last_img read more

Ousmane Dembele’s disciplinary problems come to the fore again as Barcelona exit looms

first_imgAdvertisement 55tiNBA Finals | Brooklyn Vsfbl1aWingsuit rodeo📽Sindre Escif( IG: @_aubreyfisher @imraino ) owbtWould you ever consider trying this?😱80nskCan your students do this? 🌚c7lRoller skating! Powered by Firework Advertisement It seems ‘Ousmane Dembele’ and ‘discipline’ do not sit well in the same sentence. Some of Barcelona’s top stars have raised their concern over Dembele amid reports he turned up 25 minutes late for the team’s UEFA Champions League clash with Inter Milan on Wednesday.According to Spanish sports newspaper Mundo Deportivo, the “disciplinary problems” being regularly showcased by Dembele have worried some of the dressing room “heavyweights” at  Camp Nou.Advertisement As relayed by Ullal, in Barcelona’s previous La Liga fixture against Sevilla, Dembele is said to have taken 10 minutes to get himself ready to enter the match following Lionel Messi’s injury, leaving his team to play with 10 men for that time.Albert Aubach of Sport reported that Dembele arrived late for the game against Inter. The players are said to be told to arrive two hours before kick-off, but Dembele did not make it to the Camp Nou for the 6 p.m. (BST) cutoff.Advertisement However, in an Instagram post by BarcaTimes, Ousmane Dembele himself seemingly dismissed those reports:The 21-year-old Frenchman became Barcelona’s record signing in the summer of 2017 following Neymar’s departure to Paris Saint-Germain.Although there’s no questioning the talent the winger possesses, his time in Barcelona has been far from straightforward. An injury prevented him from gathering momentum last season and since then he’s not been able to find consistency on the field.Given, that Dembele is a young player and still in his early days in his footballing career, he has gone through tribulations and with his current scenario at Barcelona it may become difficult for manager Valverde to keep him at the club. Advertisementlast_img read more