Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
Get instant access to must-read content today!To access hundreds of features, subscribe today! At a time when the world is forced to go digital more than ever before just to stay connected, discover the in-depth content our subscribers receive every month by subscribing to gasworld.Don’t just stay connected, stay at the forefront – join gasworld and become a subscriber to access all of our must-read content online from just $270. Subscribe
Carnival Corporation said it has signed a multi-billion dollar contract to build four next-generation cruise ships with the largest guest capacity in the world.The contract with Meyer Werft is part of larger previously signed strategic memo of understanding with leading shipbuilders Meyer Werft and Fincantieri for nine new ship orders between 2019 and 2022, the company said in a statement.The four new ships will also feature a “green cruising” design. The ships will be the first in the cruise industry to be powered at sea by Liquefied Natural Gas.The company said two of the ships will be manufactured for AIDA Cruises at Meyer Werft’s shipyard in Papenburg, Germany. Additional information about the ships, including which new ships will be added to each brand, will be made available at a later date.Based on Carnival Corporation’s innovative new ship design, each of the four next-generation ships will have a total capacity of 6,600 guests, feature more than 5,000 lower berths, exceed 180,000 gross tons and incorporate an extensive number of guest-friendly features. A major part of the innovative design involves making much more efficient use of the ship’s spaces, creating an enhanced onboard experience for guests.Pioneering a new era in the use of sustainable fuels, the four new ships will be the first in the cruise industry to use LNG in dual-powered hybrid engines to power the ship both in port and on the open sea. LNG will be stored onboard and used to generate 100 percent power at sea – producing another industry-first innovation for Carnival Corporation and its brands. Using LNG to power the ships in port and at sea will eliminate emissions of soot particles and sulfur oxides.In addition to the two ships being built in Germany, Meyer Werft – which had the capacity to accommodate these four ship-building orders in its production schedule — will also build the two additional ships detailed at its shipyard in Turku, Finland.[mappress mapid=”17431″]Image: Meyer Werft
This story has now been closed to comments. A judge has refused a McKenzie friend permission to speak on behalf of a litigant in person, stressing the court should be ‘slow’ to allow oral submissions.Following a one-day hearing this week, the Honourable Mrs Justice Steyn DBE said the claimant in Ameyaw v McGoldrick & Ors was a well-educated, intelligent woman who was clearly able to speak on her own behalf.The judge added it was ‘readily apparent’ from the history of litigation between the parties that the claimant had extensive experience of litigation, including experience representing herself. But the judge also said she might change her stance if the claimant could produce evidence of health problems that constituted ‘special circumstances’.The claim itself is for libel, malicious falsehood, breach of confidence and misuse of private information. A preliminary hearing was held on Wednesday to decide a number of issues, including the claimant’s application for her McKenzie friend, named as Mr Ogilvy, to be permitted to make oral submissions on her behalf.The judge had already accommodated the claimant’s request to hold the hearing in a physical court, saying she would be disadvantaged by a remote hearing.But when she applied to let Ogilvy speak for her, Steyn stressed to the claimant that her McKenzie friend would be limited to providing ‘moral support’, including taking notes, helping with case papers and quietly giving advice on any aspect of the conduct of the case. The judge did allow those in court to use mobile phones, given the need to socially distance in court.The court heard the only reason the claimant gave for asking permission for Ogilvy to make oral submissions on her behalf was, in effect, that she was underprepared because she had assumed that he would be able to. It also emerged in the judgment that Ogilvy had previously been convicted on counts of falsely representing he was a barrister.The judge added: ‘Given that McKenzie friends are only permitted to make oral submissions in special or very exceptional circumstances, there was no basis on which the claimant (or Mr Ogilvy) could properly have assumed that the court would grant him a right of audience.’The judgment recorded that when Steyn refused the claimant’s application to grant Ogilvy a right of audience, her behaviour changed ‘very suddenly and dramatically’. She became extremely angry, shouting loudly at the judge and throwing files forcefully down onto the bench. She then appeared to sit down under the bench so she was no longer visible to the judge.After an ambulance was called by Ogilvy, the hearing was adjourned to later in the day. But the claimant did not return to court, and the defendants – by now the only parties present – agreed to the hearing being postponed by two days to today.
FINAL bids are due on March 3 for a contract to build the planned 3 km extension of the Istanbul heavy metro from Taksim to Unkapan?µ. Including a bridge across the Golden Horn, the extension is provisionally costed at 36 trillion lire.Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality has prequalified nine consortia for the work, including Turkish firms Yüksel and Güris; Bayinder and Limak; Gülermak, Ferrovial, Agroman and Auxini of Spain; Yap?µ Merkezi with Wayss & Freytag and Interbeton; Baytur, Cengiz, Kiska and Mitsubishi; IHI of Japan with Enka and Dogus; Gama Endustri with Vitkovice of the Czech Republic and Trevi of Italy; Tekfen; and STFA, Temel and Alke.Prequalification bids for the next 2·5 km metro extension, from Unkapan?µ to Yenikap?µ, were submitted in early February. These included bids from Taylor Woodrow with Gülermak, AGE with Beton und Monierbau, Yap?µ Merkezi, and Gama Endüstri. Also costed at 36 trillion lire, this section will be funded directly by the municipality. Five consortia submitted prequalification bids at the end of January for a US$250m turnkey contract to build and equip a 7·5 km extension of Istanbul’s light metro network from Otogar to Bagcilar and Mahmutbey, including six stations. They are: Adtranz with Yapi Merkezi and ABB; Ulermak and Taylor Woodrow of Great Britain; Ceylan with Nesco of Spain; Enka, Caravan and SNC Lavalin of Canada; and Yuksel and Guris with Ansaldo of Italy.The Municipality of Antalya has negotiated funding from the US Trade & Development Agency for design and feasibility studies for construction of a 41 km light rail network. Mayor Hasan Subasi envisages three routes. The Örnekk
CC-BY-2.0/Wikimedia Commons)” src=”https://d1c4d7gnm6as1q.cloudfront.net/pictures/web/import/pics/tn_es-santiagodecompostela-crash-credit-contando_estrelas_ccby2.jpg?w=660″ />SPAIN: At 20.41 on July 24 a Madrid – Ferrol Alvia service derailed on a curve on the approach to Santiago de Compostela. Formed of a Class 730 gauge-convertible electro-diesel Talgo trainset, the 15.00 from Madrid was carrying 218 passengers, according to a joint statement from Spanish train operator RENFE and infrastructure manager ADIF.The train had 12 vehicles, with an electric and a diesel power car at the ends. The rear power cars appear to have caught fire after the impact, and one of the intermediate coaches was thrown up on to an adjacent road; other cars rolled over or struck a retaining wall. Reports on July 25 indicated that 79 people had died in the accident with many more injured. The train had left the high speed alignment and should have been slowing in preparation for the stop at Santiago station, about 3 to 4 km from the site of the accident. The speed limit on the curve is understood to be 80 km/h, but Spanish media reported that the train driver had said over the train radio that the train had been travelling at 190 km/h. A video taken from a lineside security camera appeared to show coaches behind the front power cars derailing first, pulling the heavier leading vehicles over as the train rounded the curve. Whereas Spain’s high speed standard gauge lines are equipped with ERTMS, Spanish media suggested that this section of the route which had opened in December 2011 was fitted only with the standard Spanish ASFA train warning equipment.
Hua Siong also excelled in thetaekwondo arena, gaining gold in elementary – kyorugi with a stunningperformance from Jianne Irish Boniba, as Lyn Owem Santacera won silver in thesame event and division. In the high school – poomsae competition, the trio ofDex Benedict Rico, Zachariah Audric Balsomo, and Josiah Shalom Ibe took homesilver, as the bronze medal was won by Chloe Tanchanco, Kyan So, and Payap Peñaredondoin high school – kyorugi. Hua Siong, likewise, proved itsdominant streak in chess, the duo of Iana Angela Sotaridana and J Irah Sargadoboth claiming gold to gain the elementary girls championship. Meanwhile, theelementary boys chess twosome of Jairo Sargado and Rhian Martin Guevara bothnotched silver to finish 1st runner-up in their team’s division. ILOILO City – Hua Siong College ofIloilo once again demonstrated itself as a force to be reckoned with in therecently concluded 2019 ILOPRISAA (Iloilo Private Schools Athletic Association)Meet – raking in more than 50 medals. In other high-stakes team events, HuaSiong emerged as the champions in the elementary – boys division of thevolleyball competition, while the high school – boys division spikers seizedsilver. Meanwhile, the school’s lady booters clutched bronze in the high school– girls division of futsal. Meanwhile in table tennis, both thehigh school and elementary boys teams captured silver, as their girlcounterparts netted bronze in both the secondary and elementary divisions. Inthe individual – single table tennis events, David Castronuevo clutched silverin the high school – boys division, as Jamie Belle Boniba (high school – girlsdivision) and Kirk William Uy and Nico Gan (elementary – boys division) endedthe contest with bronze medals. Stephanie Crisosto also swung her way to asilver finish in high school girls – lawn tennis. However, Soguilon wasn’t the lonestandout star athlete: Theo Ange Salvador Ngu mined gold in athletics, emergingsupreme first place in elementary 400-meter dash, 400-meter hurdle, and the200-meter dash. In high school athletics, John PaulSolas and Eric William Sy pocketed one gold apiece in the triple jump and200-meter walk events, respectively, as Emmanuel Mayuga managed to snag silverin the 800-meter run. Capping off Hua Siong’s athletics performance, Jasper IanAlcantara grabbed bronze in the 400-meter dash and 400-meter hurdle events, aswell as joining Solas, Ronn Dinglasan, and Russel Thornton in the 4X100-meterrelay and Solas, Thornton, and Patrick Barriga in the 4X400-meter relay forthird place finishes. HSCI High School Basketball Team has reclaimed its championship title after outscoring and crushing Sta. Clarita International School in the court during the ILOPRISAA final round. The victory marks the fourthconsecutive year the Hua Siong elementary basketball team has come up on top onthe ILOPRISAA court, a spectacular and impressive feat in local sports.Meanwhile, the high school team faced off with powerhouse Sta. ClaritaInternational School in the finals, Hua Siong emerging unbowed in thenail-biter finale. The school also bagged silver in 3×3 basketball. Meanwhile, Hua Siong’s pride swimmerKyla Soguilon notched gold medals in the 500-meter backstroke, 100-meterbackstroke, 100-meter freestyle, and 50-meter butterfly events and silver inthe 200-meter backstroke competition – for a total tally of 5 medals in thehigh school division this 2019 ILOPRISAA alone. Impressive performances from HuaSiong’s Elementary and High School departments made possible the windfall ofmedal finishes. Among the most notable of the triumphs were the Red Phoenix’sstunning defense of their 2018 ILOPRISAA basketball crowns, as defendingtitleholders in both the secondary and elementary division. Hua Siong sweptgold in the 2019 ILOPRISAA basketball arena with their stellar outings, goinghome back-to-back champions for both divisions. Similarly, both the high school boysand high school girls chess teams capped the tournament with 1st runner-upfinishes with their medal hauls. The high school girls team was composed ofHailey Chu (Gold), Angel Torda (Silver), Angel Grace Dapitan (Silver), HannahChu (Silver), and Lettice Chen (Bronze). Meanwhile the boys squad were JerryRodriguez (Silver), Adrian Tan (Silver), Teddy Rajeev, Joben Daclis, and AlFrank Young./PN
Coca-Cola Arena in Dubai has emerged as one of the possible hosts for the PBA’s “bubble” if and when it returns to action.RICHARD ESGUERRA PBA chairman Ricardo Vargas, for his part, said that the league is now looking at possible bubble sites like the Smart-Araneta Coliseum in Cubao in Quezon City, Clark in Pampanga, and the Inspire Sports Academy in Laguna. PBA commissioner Willie Marcial said that the league has drawn attention from a number of prospective bubble tournament hosts, including the Coca-Cola Arena in Dubai, which has hosted official PBA games before. “They have communicated with us and they’re asking for the requirements,” said Marcial, referring to Mark Jan Kar, Commercial Director of Coca Cola Arena. The PBA chairman also said that he had already spoken to some PBA board members and they, too, agree that the bubble concept should be seriously taken into consideration. “The planned bubble will be discussed at length during the league’s board meeting this week,” Vargas said during the Philippine Sportswriters Association (PSA) online Forum on Tuesday. “My own feeling as part of the board as chairman is we don’t have a choice. May model na eh. The model is the NBA and we should just go ahead and move forward and look forward to the time na maglalaro tayo,” he added. MANILA – The Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) is looking to follow the National Basketball Association (NBA) model of creating a “bubble” for the resumption of the 2020 Philippine Cup. “They are also as excited. In fact, we are talking about several options in terms of following the bubble,” Vargas said. “The question is, meron bang lugar sa Pilipinas na puwede tayong mag-bubble kasi wala namang Disneyland.”/PN
The 2020 Aprilia RS 660 which was officially introduced during EICMA 2019 is set for its official ‘production-ready’ debut at Mugello, Italy for the upcoming Aprilia All Stars event. Aprilia’s latest middleweight sports bike will without a doubt be one of the event’s main attractions for fellow enthusiasts of the brand.Happening on 9 May 2020, the Aprilia All Stars event will be paying homage to everything related to the brand. So far, the only Aprilia RS 660 that people have witnessed was in Milan, Italy late last year during EICMA 2019, which was extensively covered by members of media. If you want to be amongst the first to see and touch the production-ready RS 660, book a ticket to Mugello this May.With that being said, the 2020 Aprilia RS 660 will be arriving in Malaysia at the end of the year and this has been confirmed by Piaggio’s Head of Marketing in Asia Pacific, Nicola Capello. The breaking news was revealed during the Aprilia RSV4 X first Asian preview last month right here in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.CONFIRMED: 2020 Aprilia RS 660 is coming to MalaysiaThe prospect of the new 2020 Aprilia RS 660 is certainly an exciting one, especially its 660cc parallel-twin engine with claimed power figures of around 100hp and a dry weight of only 168kg. That’s an impressive power-to-weight ratio if you’ve done the calculations.To know more about the Aprilia RS660, check it out in the link below.Highly-anticipated 2020 Aprilia RS 660 Debuts–Ads–
RelatedCity discusses Yacht Club, dredgingBy DINA ARÉVALO Port Isabel-South Padre Press email@example.com Aside from the debates about salary increases and reductions, the Port Isabel City Commission considered several other long-pending matters during Monday night’s special meeting. Chief among them were the Yacht Club and dredging at the entrance to the Fingers. The Commission considered a…October 16, 2015In “News”YACHT CLUB AUDITForensic audit delivers scathing report of restoration project’s finances, planning Editor’s Note: To jump to Part 2 of this story, available exclusively online, click here. By DINA ARÉVALO Port Isabel-South Padre Press firstname.lastname@example.org The Port Isabel City Commission heard a lengthy report about the Yacht Club project during its regular…March 30, 2018In “News”City to change recycling center hoursBy DINA ARÉVALO Port Isabel-South Padre Press email@example.com Changes continue in Port Isabel as the City Commission seeks to remedy a budget deficit and increase efficiency in City operations. Among those changes will be new hours of operation for the recycling center. Currently, the center is open six days a week…August 17, 2015In “News” Share By DINA ARÉVALOPort Isabel-South Padre Presseditor@portisabelsouthpadre.comThe historic Port Isabel Yacht Club Hotel was the topic of much discussion at a special meeting of the Port Isabel city commission Tuesday evening.Listed for discussion under three separate agenda items, the commission debated the future renovation and restoration plans of the building due to concerns raised by City Manager Jared Hockema. “Originally, this project was meant to be a much larger project,” Hockema said. “Let’s pause,” he said.The first thing to pause, Hockema suggested, was the architectural and design concept currently being created by Teresa Fonseca of STAR Consulting pending the results of two independent reviewers. “We’re pausing it so we can figure out what’s going to be the best course of action,” said Hockema, who worried that the initial project estimate of approximately $5 million would soon be exceeded.The City originally planned to turn the facility into a culinary arts school and hosted a charrette in February to invite community members to meet with architects, interior designers and other professionals to brainstorm ideas for its creation. Attitudes were optimistic, and the charrette was well received. Local universities and colleges had also expressed interest in using the facility, as well.But the project has begun to stall pending funding from sources such as the U.S. Economic Development Administration (EDA), among others. Meanwhile, the ambitious plans for the building are proving more costly than previously expected. Hockema asked what would happen if the concept rose to $10 million. “That was never really discussed,” said Mayor Joe Vega in response.“The original budget was $5 million. Why did it jump from $5 million to $10 million?” Commissioner Juan Jose “J.J.” Zamora asked.Want the whole story? Pick up a copy of the Port Isabel-South Padre Press, or subscribe to our E-Edition by clicking here.